D. SHAWN BURKLEY, Esq.
Seasoned, responsible, creative and well-traveled project manager and negotiator with extensive experience in international business settings now reoriented to representing clients, focused on resolving government-private party civil disputes, including those involving environmental law and interstate / international parties. Published writer and editor on a variety of legal topics. Self-starter with a proven record of generating and maintaining client relationships.
- Member of the State Bar of California (Bar No. 310129);
- Admitted to United States District Court, Central District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Private Clients, Los Angeles, CA
Attorney, Freelance Legal Researcher and Draftsperson, August 2015 – August 2016
Working as an independent contractor for various one to three lawyer firms specializing in civil litigation, constitutional rights violations and international transportation law.
New York Unified Court System – Office of Counsel, New York, NY
Extern, September 2014 – December 2014; Pro Bono Volunteer, January 2015 – May 2015
Drafted motions, conducted research, and “mooted” attorneys prior to appellate appearances for the Manhattan office of in-house counsel for The New York State Unified Court System. Retained for Spring of 2015 for individual, special projects including restructuring of procurement bid process documentation.
Center for International and Comparative Law / St. John’s University School Of Law
Legal Research Assistant and Editor, July 2014 – July 2015
Pro Bono editor for forthcoming Digest of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda and International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia Appeals Chamber Judgments, working primarily on fact checking footnotes against trial transcripts for accuracy and ensuring proper citation.
Private Clients, Los Angeles, CA
Freelance Legal Researcher, June 2014 – August 2014
Identified and assisted various private clients in providing detailed legal research to assist in pending litigation. Focus was on state and federal labor law and class actions.
International Law Association / St. John’s University School Of Law, New York, NY
Legal Research Assistant, October 2013 – December 2013
Acted as the primary jurisprudential researcher for U.S. committee’s report for ILA memorandum titled Recognition/Non-recognition in International Law, specifically concentrating on immunity, recognition of judgments, jurisdiction, the status of contracts, extradition, customs, as well as the rights, responsibilities, and immunities of aspirant states under the U.S. system.
St. John’s University School of Law, Juris Doctor, June 2015
– Recipient, Partial Academic Merit Scholarship
– Dean’s List (Spring 2014, Spring 2015)
– Dean’s Award for Excellence (highest grade in class): Colloquium in International Law; Street Law Seminar; and Externship Seminar
– “Outstanding Advocate,” Carey Alternative Dispute Resolution Competition
– Editor-in-Chief, The Forum – the Newspaper for SJU School of Law
– Student Teacher, Street Law Clinic at John Bowne High School
– Treasurer and Associate Editor, Admiralty Practicum
City University of New York, School of Professional Studies, B.S. Business, June 2011
Summa Cum Laude
Universite De Lyon 2 Lumiere, Comprehensive French language study, Winter 1993
Final Grade: 18.7 / 20 (Mention Très Bien)
LANGUAGES, SKILLS, AFFILIATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS:
Languages: Fluent in French; conversant in Spanish
Computer Skills: LexisNexis (incl. Advanced), Westlaw (incl. Next), Bloomberg Legal Research, Excel modeling, PowerPoint (advanced design), Word, Photoshop, InDesign
– North American Regional Co-Editor,ASIL Commentaries on Private International Law
– Board Member, Valley Community Legal Foundation
– Editorial Committee Member, Valley Lawyer Magazine
– Member, American Bar Association,
– Member, American Society of International Law
– Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association,
– Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association,
– Member, San Fernando Valley Bar Association
– Member, CUNY Alumnae Association
– Member, L.A. Law Library (Bronze Level)
Former Committee Member:
– NY County Lawyers Association Foreign and International Law Committee
– National Arts Club House Committee
New York Notary Public (commission currently expired),
Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System & Registry,
LexisNexis Professional Research Certification,
New Technology and the Ancient Tort of Trespass: Can fracking be undone by one of the legal system’s oldest torts? published in Valley Lawyer Magazine, January 2016
Johnny and the Scorpions: A brief look at the mind of John Roberts, published in Valley Lawyer Magazine, November 2015
Punitive Damages Are An Available Remedy To Seamen In A General Maritime Law Claim Of Unseaworthiness, summary of McBride v. Estis Well Serv., L.L.C., 731 F.3d 505 (5th Cir. 2013) published in: Admiralty Practicum, Joseph Calamari Admiralty Law Society, Spring 2014.
WHO’S WHERE?: Looking for a Uniform Rule In Granting Law Enforcement Authorizations for Smartphone Geolocation Data, scholarly article completed May 14, 2014